Sunday, June 13, 2021

Witch Project Week #4

 Well I was hoping I'd be done this week but it looks like I'm just going to take the 5th week to get her finished while I block out my next project. This past week I finally wrapped up the high res, began merging and preparing pieces for retopo, noticed how messed up my sculpt was thanks to said retopo, and went back to the sculpt for further fixes. This is what the final sculpt looks like:




I brought her into Unreal to get some rough lighting and also started trying to figure out her goo material and got a fun ghost effect, but its too transparent and has no control over the translucency opacity.


After some thinking and talking to Alex Harvey for some tech art wisdom, it looks like one of my original hunches was right which was that I would probably have to create a b/w texture map that masks out opacity - so basically an alpha map. I decided to do a quick test on a cube and turns out this is fairly easy!



 I quickly baked her body in Substance so I could test on her and learned I'll just need to do a lot of back and forth between Substance and Unreal to make sure it's looking good very frequently as transparency goes from 0 to 100 quickly.




My extremely simple baby material.

I've learned quite a lot in the making of this project which I'm grateful for, but I've hit a point with it where I can see just how inefficiently and assbackwards I approached it but it's too late for me to do anything about it. For my next project I'm definitely going to spend more time planning each piece instead of just kind of winging it and hoping for the best! Anyway, since I'm behind here's how my schedule is going to go this week:

Tonight - push to at least get her body UVed and baked so I can start testing the material with a texture map. 
Monday - get the rest of her UVed, baked, put down base color.
Weds - Get her clothing/skull textures close to finished.
Friday - Finish texturing. 
Sat/Sun - Any finishing touches, work on new proxy blockout and detailed project 2 schedule.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Demon Axe and Jelly Witch Complete, RIP Cyclops

I finished this all up a week ago and got really nice feedback during my last industry review so.. here ya go! - You can look at more progre...