Thursday, September 3, 2020

COMMON ART: Assignment 1 - Basic Shapes

 For this assignment we studied the works of Sparth. We were tasked with selecting an element/shape from one of his works to 3D model and incorporate into an original piece. I created a PureRef board of Sparth pieces and other images I found on Google I felt inspired by.



I decided to go with bottom ship design by Sparth as the shape I wanted to use. 




In Maya, I brought in the ship design as an image plane to use as my reference and started off with a cube as my base.



From there I began doing simple extrusions and pushed vertices around to get the general shape.



Once I got the shape done, I took a quick break from Maya to create a thumbnail of my piece to get a better idea of what it was going to look like.



With the values roughly figured out, I went back to Maya to get the lighting on the ship as close as to how I would like it to be in the illustration. I used a directional light and two area lights to get the results I needed.



Finally, I brought the ship into my sketch and began painting.



Once I started painting I completely lost all self-awareness so I wasn't able to get good progress shots of it. Sorry! Here it is.



Higher res here.

I was really inspired by the textural quality of Sparth's works so I mainly stuck to organic and painterly brushes to get a similar effect. I would switch to a standard basic brush to cut through the chaos and bring more solid shapes to the surface. Overall it was a pretty fun learning experience since I never draw environments and I also got to add a new artist to my inspiration repertoire.

Here's a romantic detail shot to close this post out. 😄





No comments:

Post a Comment

Demon Axe and Jelly Witch Complete, RIP Cyclops

I finished this all up a week ago and got really nice feedback during my last industry review so.. here ya go! - You can look at more progre...