Monday, April 5, 2021

Island Project Week 1: Proxy

So our entire class is working together to make director Nick's vision come true! I'm on the island team and tasked with creating the palm trees and foliage to liven our sand piles with. I finished with 4 palm tree variations, a grass pile, and a fern.

All I have to say about this process is that the curve tool is your friend! All of the trunks are basically extruded curves except for the layered one, which was made out of a single trunk segment that was duplicated along the curve using the MASH curve functionality in Maya. I've never used MASH until I watched someone do this in a tutorial and my mind was blown. It's a pretty neat little tool. Oh, I also used the bend deformer to give the fronds and grass some shape.

My plan: I'm going to be taking those chunky fronds into Zbrush, baking them onto planes, and then cleaning the planes up in Substance with opacity. I'm also going to be sculpting on the more layered trunk off to the right and baking it onto the smoother one to get some fun normals on the final product while still keeping it low res. (Edit: Nick liked the silhouette so I'll be just using the chunky trunk as my base. It's actually under 5k tris so it's very inexpensive.) The foliage will just be pure Substance, babey.


Stylistic reference: 


Proxies:




Here they are in the UE4 scene.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Demon Axe and Jelly Witch Complete, RIP Cyclops

I finished this all up a week ago and got really nice feedback during my last industry review so.. here ya go! - You can look at more progre...